Mrs J Coleman (Co-ordinator)
Sociology is offered as an option for sixth form only.
During sociology lessons you learn about how race, class, gender, sexuality and other factors shape people's life chances, their experiences in organizations, and how broad scale institutions impact on individual lives, as a result sociologists promote not just greater understanding but also positive change in society.
Key Stage 5
Qualification Level: AS & A Level
Awarding Body: WJEC
QAN Ref. No. - AS Level: 601/5258/8
QAN Ref. No. - A Level: 601/5237/0
If you are fascinated by the behaviour of others and why we act the way we do, then Sociology is for you. Sociology seeks to understand all aspects of human social behaviour, including the social dynamics of small groups of people, large organisations, institutions and even entire societies.
The WJEC AS in Sociology encourages learners to:
- Acquire knowledge and a critical understanding of contemporary social processes and social changes
- Appreciate the significance of theoretical and conceptual issues in sociological debate
- Understand and evaluate sociological methodology and a range of research methods through active involvement in the research process
- Develop skills that enable individuals to focus on their identity, roles and responsibilities within society
- Develop a lifelong interest in social issues
The course adopts a thematic approach throughout covering:
AS Unit 1 – Acquiring Culture, with a chosen topic of youth cultures (15% of total qualification)
AS Unit 2 –Understanding Society and Methods of Sociological Enquiry (25% of total qualification)
Unit 3 - Power and Control (25% of total qualification)
Unit 4 - Social Inequality and Applied Methods of Sociological Enquiry (35% of total qualification)
Via a written exam
A minimum grade of C in GCSE English Language
This specification provides a suitable foundation for the study of Sociology or a related area through a range of higher education courses at University, progression to the next level of vocational qualifications or direct entry into employment.